Sunday, December 23, 2007

Desiring Paradise


In my opinion, this book is awesome! Once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. It's a true story about a couple that decided to move to the Virgin Islands and all the craziness of preparing for, moving to and living in the VI. Even if you aren't ready to make the jump, the book is worth reading. It's educational, entertaining and so similar to Jay and I that it's unbelievable. I highly recommend it.

I was really curious about whether they were still on St. John. After going through everything they did to get there, did they hang in there and actually make a life in the islands? I used the amazing power of the Internet and found out that they are still on St. John (ok, I feel like a stalker.....but I had to know!) She is a manager with VIVA! Villas and is the property manger working with Randy on Reef Madness. Small world since we read their blog on a regular basis http://www.reefmadnessvilla.com/

Once we get on island, it would be great to meet Karin and Bob in person (we need to invite them to a Sunday Beach Bar forum meeting!). I'm sure there are all kinds of side stories that didn't make it in the book! I'm really curious about the process they went through mailing all of their possessions via US mail (sixty some boxes) and if they had to do it over, would they do it again....or would they just buy everything on island (which is one of the things we are trying to decide on now). With Jay and I moving to St. Thomas vs St. John and the fact that they moved almost 10 years ago and with the power of the Internet, I would think having access to household goods will be a little easier now. But I could be wrong.

Now that Karin and Bob are coming up on their 10 year anniversary in the VI, it would be awesome if she wrote a second book covering the past ten years and how they actually made it in Paradise!

2 comments:

Bry said...

Thanks for the follow up on them! I've read that book twice (great book) and found it so helpful preparing for our move. I also wondered if they were still there!

Deb and Jay said...

Bry - Google is great. So have you already moved to the islands? Any tips you want to share we would be glad to post them.
Deb

Weather